Re: recording equipment for rockfall detection

Subject: Re: recording equipment for rockfall detection
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:04 pm ((PDT))
Valerie Zimmer, you wrote,

>  I am a grad student who is
> looking into recording wave signatures from (and hopefully preceding)
> landslide events, in particular, rockfalls in Yosemite National Park.

In January of this year I recorded Yosemite icefalls at Bridalveil
Fall and Upper Yosemite Fall, and rockfalls at Middle Brother. My
intention, at the suggestion of Resources Chief Joe Meyer, was to
gather materials for a tutorial collection that would help people
analyzing soundscape recordings to distinguish between the two.

In just a few hours I was able to collect enough examples to be able
to show significant differences. The impacts of small rockfalls, a
billiard-ball-like clatter, were about an octave higher than those of
icefalls. Whereas the icefalls shattered, followed by at most a swish,
rockfalls had a tail of talus sliding.

I'd be happy to share my material with you. I plan to go back for more
of the same this coming January.

-Dan Dugan