Inexpensive harness suggestions for field recorders & bags

Subject: Inexpensive harness suggestions for field recorders & bags
From: "John Moore" jlmoore3rd
Date: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:20 pm ((PDT))
Thought I'd pass this on... I was looking for a harness for the
Portabrace bag with my Fostex FR2 and found that the Portabrace
harness was a bit spendy ($189 @ B&H) as well as a bit of overkill for
just the FR2, even with the external battery pack. Petrol makes a
similar one, but it was $100 and also overkill.

So I did a bit of research & found a couple of alternatives from the
camera world: Lowepro makes 4 different harnesses & vests for their
camera bags. I chose the "Topload Zoom Harness" for the FR2 ($10.95 @
Amazon) and the "Backpack Harness" for my gear bag ($26.95 @ Amazon).

The Topload works perfectly for the FR2, but I am going to add a bit
of padding to the shoulder straps (cause I'm a baby). The Backpack
Harness had to be modified for my non-Lowepro bag... I removed the
straps that held the belt & replaced them with straps that hook to the
lower part of my bag. The advantage to using both is that I can wear
my gear bag behind me & the FR2 in front. I could have rigged the FR2
to the front of the Backpack Harness, but I don't always want to have
the gear bag on at the same time.

If anyone has questions, or wants me to post pics on my website, let
me know. (I hope the cross-posting here & phonography is okay!)

John "Alpha Flying Monkey" Moore
www.flyingmonkeystudio.com

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: