Re: pressure build-up ring

Subject: Re: pressure build-up ring
From: "David Kuhn" dkuhn012001
Date: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 pm ((PDT))
Thanks Bill, and I know of the Eucalyptus grove you speak of, as I
live up in Koke'e and drive thru it on the way up the hill, often at
dusk. My highest count there has been 17 bats driving thru. It is
said they prefer the Euc's as a roost tree. I got some calls last
night with Telinga, and they did indeed bottom out at ~20Khz, and
clipped off the top in spectral view (see/hear
http://tinyurl.com/6lsejl
again, as recorded and then dropped in pitch to ~800hz). I'll go out
with the MKH 20's with pressure build-up rings to see what I get.

David
--- In  "werainey" <>
wrote:

> Typical calls from the Hawaiian hoary bat have their minimum
frequency higher than  on
> the continent,so even when cruising in open air, they don't often
get below 20 KHz. In
> contrast, the no obstacles open air call Sequence in  Yosemite or
Alberta , could be 16
> KHz or somewhat below. Haory bat social calls get down to 8-10 KHz
but are very
> different that mastiff calls.
>
> In several batches of recordings from Kauai, open air calls are
largely in the 20-30 KHz
> range, but when the bats are interacting with prey or other bats,
the baseline rises, so the
> frequency range then  is often more like 30-65 KHz.
>
> If you don't have a starting point on Kauai, they hunt over the
parking lot lights at Kalawai
> Park in Kalaheo and likely in similar situations elsewhere. I'm
told you can see them over
> the bay at Salt Pond Park. A group  of bats appeared shortly after
dusk and hunted an
> insect swarm at human head level  in a distinctive (there is only
one) straight stretch of the
> Waimea Cyn road that is hemmed in by tall Eucalyptus. I can find
the coordinates if you
> wish.
>
> Bill R.
> > Can someone say what this is, how=C2=A0 it is applied, and how much
hf response
> enhancement can be expected? I'm going out hunting=C2=A0for the
Hawaiian Bat (a sub-
> species of Hoary Bat, whose echolocation call is said to be 15-30
Khz). The MKH 20's freq