Recording and cellphone interference

Subject: Recording and cellphone interference
From: "William Ruscher Jr." immonacan99
Date: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:49 am ((PDT))
Hi Danny,

          Thanks for your reply and to the others that replied to the
thread. This leaves me convinced that my recording equipment is still
what I thought it was, and my phone must remain OFF during any
recording attempts. My phone was lying on the opposite side of the
tent (maybe 5' away from the recorder) and still did damage.
The editing has not gone well so far, but I'll salvage what I can of
the recording. I can reduce some of the interference sounds, but there
is just way too much of it. The recording as a whole sounds hollow and
unnatural (in my first attempts) with the amount of editing needed.
Salvaging just the nature sounds (owls, raccoons, night flight bird
chirps) into shorter clips, might be more doable .
I have isolated some human sleep sounds from my camping partner
(snoring, yawns, farts, and sleep mumbling), and realize I need to
pitch and setup much further away from his tent, as 50 yds was Not
enough.
On the positive side of that experience, I continue to be impressed
with the quality and pickup range of the Sony ECM-55b mics, and
believe these have been one of my best investments, so far.

Bill

--- In  "Danny" <>
wrote:

> Hi Bill...
>
> Similar experience.   I heard interference .. clicking , popping,
whirring, screeching low level  in my headphones Sunday nite whilst
out at a local beaver pond.  My rig is similar, FR2-LE + Rode
NT4,short cables and Nokia flip phone..   The noise interferences
disappeared when I moved the phone away from the bag holding the
recorder..  ( Did have to leave the phone on as I was on call for
work.  Technically shouldn't have been so far from home but one must
get a bit of the natural real world each weekend, keep the balance in
life  <grin> )

> Good luck with the editing.. Hopefully you can isolate the popping
sounds, pick them out with an editor and save the recording.