10. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: 10. Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:05 pm ((PDT))
I wrote:

>> (AT3032s > SD MixPre > recorder line input) This H2's line in seems
>> to be slightly cleaner and quieter than my Sony Hi-MD recorder.

Rob Danielson asked:

> Do you recall if the Hi-MD's line input gain was set to "30?" I
> believe this circuit is attenuation only. We'll keep tabs on this
> unusual observation!

Hi-MD line input gain was set to "21." I arrived at that setting by
referencing the 0VU 1Khz tone from MixPre's "Tape Out" and dialing down
until the Hi-MD meter was at the first markings below FS (I'm guessing
that's -12dbfs, but I might be wrong). I did the same with the H2, and
found that a line input gain setting of "84" will show -12dbfs on the
meter with this reference source.

Rob again:

> Are you setting up a 2nd rig? I'm curious as to why your Fostex FR2-LE
> isn't the recorder of choice.

The MixPre was an afterthought, acquired on a sudden impulse last year
when Bernie offered a pair of them for sale. I really like the sound
and build of it. So yes, it's a second rig -- partly for backup, and
partly for when I want to make high quality recordings in two locations
simultaneously. As to which rig is my recorder of choice, I'd say
that's a toss-up. Both sound great, but each has its pros and cons in
different situations.

Curt Olson