Re: Small field recorder - clean line input

Subject: Re: Small field recorder - clean line input
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:57 pm ((PDT))
A follow-up report, as promised...

My new Zoom H2 came today from Sweetwater. A quick and dirty comparison
with a Hi-MD recorder reveals the following:

(AT3032s > SD MixPre > recorder line input) This H2's line in seems to
be slightly cleaner and quieter than my Sony Hi-MD recorder.

(AT3032s > ART Phantom II > recorder mic input ) This H2's mic pre is
audibly noisier than my Sony Hi-MD. I decided to not test any deeper,
except...

(WL-183s > recorder input with PIP) Same results as above.

USB connectivity to my MAC is fast and easy, especially compared to the
many clunky steps required of the Hi-MD.

So I think I'll be keeping the H2. For my main purpose of capturing the
"Tape Out" signal of SD MixPre, it looks to be an improvement over
Hi-MD in many important ways. But for low-profile recording, with PIP
mics, the Hi-MD recorder will still get used -- sometimes.

Curt Olson