1. Re: Microphone cabling - Another question? Resolution!

Subject: 1. Re: Microphone cabling - Another question? Resolution!
From: "John Moore" jlmoore3rd
Date: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:28 am ((PDT))
Greg- you've been a great help! Thanks to you I think I've figured out
the ideal cabling system for my rig... I'm going to use your suggested
configuration, with a modification to #3:

1) Mics to 5-pin cable:
Y cable: 2 female 3-pin XLRs to 1 male 5-pin XLR

2) Two-channel multicore
50-100 foot microphone cable, terminated with female 5-pin XLR at one
end (microphones in) and male 5-pin XLR at the other end (out to
preamp).

Instead of the Y cable (#3) I'm going to build a "field recording box"
as follows:
1 x 5-pin XLR Female chassis connector to 2 x male 3-pin XLRs

This way I can have a single mounting box for my preamp, or mixer, and
my Sony PCM-D50 recorder... This should make it easier to handle
multiple units, and give it some weather protection. I'm not yet sure
if I will build the box, or just convert something I have around the
shop. If I choose to build the box I can include a clear Lexan cover
to monitor the recorder.