1. Re: Microphone cabling

Subject: 1. Re: Microphone cabling
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:47 am ((PDT))
Sorry for taking up so much space here, but due to reasonable
interest in the two channel cable on and off list, I have posted some
images on-line for those interested in seeing this stuff.

`01. assortment' shows the 90 degree XLRs plugged into the Nagra V,
the 5m 5-pin 2 channel cable, plus two breakout cables (male and
female). It should be obvious from this image that connecting a
breakout cable to each end of the 5m cable turns it into a standard
two channel cable with two 3-pin XLRs at each end. That versatility
has come in handy from time to time, and means I'm not limited to
only 5-pin connections.
http://tinyurl.com/5vtjyc

`02. foolproof' shows a close-up of the 90 degree XLRs (with blurry
Kathmandu in the background). From this it ought to be clear that
it's not possible to connect them incorrectly =96 if one is in the
wrong socket, it physically blocks the other socket.
http://tinyurl.com/5w3sp4

`03. 5m 5-pin 2 chan' is a close-up of the 5m cable, intended to
provide an indication of how thick the cable is.
http://tinyurl.com/5nezgl

`04. breakout cable' is a close-up of one of the breakout cables. The
boot of the 5-pin XLR was opened recently and slid back to access the
connections. Due to the tight fit, the last 4mm or so of the rubber
got tucked inside the boot while being slid back along the cable and
did not come out again after sliding the boot forward. This does not
affect the performance in any way, but shows how tight the connection
is due to the diameter of the cable.
http://tinyurl.com/697jny

`05. heatshrink 1' shows the heatshrink tubing fitted over the
junction where the individual leads connect to the outer insulation
of the cable. Heatshrink should always be placed over these
transitions in a cable. Note that the individual leads have
heatshrink over them as well, because the insulation around them is
intended for internal use and is too soft and thin to offer external
protection. (I was running out of appropriate diameter heatshrink
when I made these cables, so the lengths are a bit short. Ideally,
I'd like about twice the length used on these cables, extending
equally in each direction to support the transition.)
http://tinyurl.com/6qqgup

'06. heatshrink 2' provides another perspective of the heatshrink.
http://tinyurl.com/6z6xs7

- Greg Simmons