8. mkh hiss in quiet locations...

Subject: 8. mkh hiss in quiet locations...
From: "dobroide" dobroide
Date: Fri Sep 5, 2008 2:17 am ((PDT))
Hi,

(Juan Carlos, I emailed you directly, then thought other readers might
like to know)

compared to my own MKHs (link below), I think there's too much noise
in your samples. Unfortunately it's nearly impossible to know whther
the noise comes from the mics, the preamp you used or both - although
I'm tempted to say the preamp is the culprit

Also note the MKH's are highly sensitive mics but not particularly
quiet, so huge gain will result in considerably noisy recordings no
matter what you do

My own noise profile, recorded in an empty room at home (many muffled
sounds coming through walls)

http://www.filedropper.com/mkh60-30

data: mkh60 and mkh30 respectively to the left and right channels of a
Shure FP24 preamp. First half of the sample is with maximum
amplification (around 70 dB, useless in real life, IMHO). Second half
of the sample had gain notches set at 13:00h, i.e, the setting I most
often use

Regards