7. Re: mkh hiss in quiet locations...

Subject: 7. Re: mkh hiss in quiet locations...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Sep 4, 2008 9:47 pm ((PDT))
At 7:06 PM +0200 9/4/08, Juan Carlos Blancas Avil=E9s wrote:
>hi raimund and rob, thanks for your responses and info.
>yes, also intuit something related with a-weigjting...
>best regards,
>jc
>
>pd1. in the rough test i didn=B4t match levels, etc., what attracted
>to me was the frecuency distribution of the noise...
>
>pd2. rob, my mkh-60 manual claims for a equivalent sound
>pressure level as per din 45 500 curve A of 10 dB,
>and ccir 468 of 22 dB.

10 dB(A) self-noise is the figure I recalled but
I looked at Sennheiser's current spec sheet and
they seem to have new figures or at least a new
format:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pdfs/mkh60.pdf
The units/standards are a little hard to
interpret. Maybe someone can interpret more
confidently than I.

Here's a movie comparison with matched playback
volume with >60 Hz low frequency attenuation on
the Rode NT1-A. I had to boost the playback level
3 dB on the NT1-A to compensate.

re02.mov
Adjust playback volume to your taste. It should play in a loop.

Adjusted, the difference is now about what I
would expect for mics with 10 dB(A) and 5.5 dB(A)
self-noise respectively. The MKH60's noise is
pronounced in the last two octaves. With the gain
boost, the tonal character of the NT1-A's
self-noise is a little more apparent. Rob D.

>El 04/09/2008, a las 16:28, Raimund Specht escribi=F3:
>
>>  > Hi Raimund--
>>  > I agree that weighting could be playing a role,
>>  > but there seems to be a lot of audible difference
>>  > to account for:
>>  > see:
>>  >
>><http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/files/>http://tech.g=
roups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/files/
>>  > LOG IN and scroll down to the file:
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > or
>>  >
>>  >

p://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/naturerecordists/files/MKH-60-vs-