1. Re: All-Night Recording Technique (was sequoia groves recording Augu

Subject: 1. Re: All-Night Recording Technique (was sequoia groves recording Augu
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:08 am ((PDT))
Rob, you wrote,

> 2) When I hit "stop" or use the timer to stop the recording, Amadeus
> creates a waveform "overview" file that shows me the whole night. I
> have found this view really useful for not only gaining a sense of
> the whole night's rhythms but for sensing the passage of time that I
> simply can't imagine when working with numerous segments. I take a
> screen shot of the overview and can "see" developments like the onset
> of insect species, etc, by looking at the overviews for a week.

I looked at their web site <http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusPro/>,
and Amadeus does make sonograms. Is that what you mean?

I scan Pro Tools waveform displays of my long recordings for events,
but I'm sure I'm missing things that would show in a sonogram. A
sonogram makes the nature of what happened obvious in many cases
without having to listen to it. Besides Spectrafoo, which I use for
real-time monitoring in the studio, the only software I have that
displays spectrograms is Soundtrack Pro. I haven't been able to get my
head around how to use that yet.

The National Park Service has automated audio observatories that
collect continuous 1/3-octave analyses and periodic audio recordings.
The NPS displays the full-time analyses as a series of twelve two-hour
strips so that 24 hours fills one screen or page. The events are tiny,
but it's easy to see the dawn chorus, tell prop planes from jets, etc.
That's incredibly useful.

Here's one the NPS annotated for example: <http://www.dandugan.com/download=
s/NPS Spectrogram.png

10,000 24-hour soundscape images collected by the NPS are going to be
put on the web by Western Soundscape Archive.
<http://www.westernsoundscape.org/>

-Dan Dugan