Re: Archiving and Preserving Sound Files for Fifty Years Hence, Hund

Subject: Re: Archiving and Preserving Sound Files for Fifty Years Hence, Hund
From: "Lou Judson" inaudio
Date: Wed Aug 6, 2008 6:53 am ((PDT))
True archiving these days means the highest quality files you can
make, on hard drives, regularly migrated to new media before they
die, and at least three copies in separate locations... It is
intensive and detailed, not just put it on the shelf and hope.

There are also archival quality gold DVDs and CDs.

Look at this:
<http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/prjplan.html>
and see that there is a whole lot more than where you store the file,
drives, and media!
and this:

<http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/>

I'm on an archivsts e-list but mostly they talk about their old
record collections, maybe 1% about digital preservation. Part of my
work is transferring analog tape to digital but long term
preservation is not a significant part of it to me, that is up to the
clients.

Perhaps the ASmerican Folklife collection would have nature sounds?
Anybody here know nore about that?

Nobody I have heard of specifies the sound level relative to the
didital level, just where 0VU falls on the dBFS scale, generally -20
to -12 dBFS =3D 0 VU or +4.

<L>