Re: Archiving and Preserving Sound Files for Fifty Years Hence, Hund

Subject: Re: Archiving and Preserving Sound Files for Fifty Years Hence, Hund
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Aug 6, 2008 6:18 am ((PDT))
At 12:18 PM +0000 8/6/08, losangelesprofessor wrote:
>How do you archive and preserve sound files? Calibrate for the long term?
>
>Mine are .wav files. I save them on DVDs or CDs as .wav files. I
>figure that in 50 years, such LPCM files should still be readable. Is
>this true? (Now vinyl or even shellac had the advantage that all they
>demand is something that could discern the "bumps", but of course such
>records could literally break.) I also store the files, elsewhere, on
>an external hard drive.
>
>Does anyone know what the Library of Congress does?
>
>The second problem is calibration for sound levels. I can indicate
>-20dB FS =3D 96 dB SPL. I could also record a 1000 cycle tone at a
>particular dB SPL and tell people that their system should reproduce
>it at say 84dB.
>
>What do you do?
>
>Thanks to all.
>
>Martin Krieger
><krieger%40usc.edu>

Hi Martin--
The list archive has some good discussion about your questions and
I'm sure folks will be happy to share updated knowledge.
http://tinyurl.com/6k6vv8

There's a Gold Mitsui MAM CD and DVD-R disc that is often referred to
as the best archival bet. Others think the Gold DVD RAM discs are a
better bet. All are pricey. I've been using the Mitsui MAM (silver)
and  Taiyo Yuden Premium Silver (Premium 8X or 16X) -- Both are
phthalocyanine dye discs and are simulated test rated for 75-100
years. I paid .26 each for 600 recently. The burner used and writing
rate are important too. You can test your hardware which is advisable
if you are serious about it. More on the topic:
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/2007-03/=
msg00108.html
Rob D.