Re: More questions on a compact system

Subject: Re: More questions on a compact system
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:15 am ((PDT))
Callan Cohen wrote:

> I was wondering if I might ask the group another 2 questions. The
> first relates to impedance matching with the new Edirol and
> Sennheiser ME67 mic. Is a transformer such as the Shure A96F still
> recommended for increasing gain between the Edirol and the mic?

Hi Callan,

No, such a transformer is not required anymore. In general, there is
no need for impedance matching between a microphone and a modern
recorder. The best results can be achieved by connecting the low
impedance output of the microphone (about 200 ohm) directly to the
high impedance input of the recorder (about 2 ... 10 kohm). This will
ensure that the maximum possible signal level appears at the
microphone input of the recorder (otherwise, an exact impedance
matching would actually decrease the signal level at the microphone
input).

As the Edirol R-09 HR seems to have a lower inherent lower noise floor
than its predecessor, there is no reason for worrying about the gain
or preamplifier noise floor in conjunction with a Sennheiser K6/ME6x
series microphone.

> I've been using the same Sennheiser ME67 mic for the last 11 years
> now, as it has always served me well under the worst possible
> tropical conditions. However, because of its length, I don't take it
> everywhere with me, especially when I'm hiking or doing small trips.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding a good
> compromise small directional mic?  Is there a significantly smaller
> mic that would be a good back mic up for these situations, and which
> would fit easily in a "fanny pack"?

Yes, I agree that the Sennheiser K6/ME67 is often a bit too long for
convenient transportation.

You might consider one of the shorter ME6x microphone modules such as
the ME66 or ME64 (you could then continue to use the K6 module that
you already have):

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/ME_66_GB.pdf/$File/ME_66_GB.pdf
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/resources/ME_64_GB.pdf/$File/ME_64_GB.pdf

These shorter ones exhibit a less directional pick-up pattern, but I
think that the K6/ME66 is a good compromise. I use this combination
when I'm hiking or biking because it still fits into a backpack.

This year I have used it with the new TASCAM DR-1
(http://www.avisoft.com/DR-1.pdf). I like this recorder because it
provides a rugged 1/4" microphone input that works quite nice with the
K6/ME6x microphones.

Regards,
Raimund