Re: New Nagras-- how soon and ?$

Subject: Re: New Nagras-- how soon and ?$
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:23 pm ((PDT))
--- In  "tgos3" <>
wrote:

> Interesting the VI
> has sold out already.

Likewise in Australia. The local importer said in a recent
email: "The good news is we've sold them... the bad news is we've
sold them."

I am expecting a review model today or tomorrow; I'm looking forward
to it.

> The prices are disappointing, but not
> surprising given the current fate of the dollar.

Being in Australia, our dollar is currently very strong. The new
price of the Nagra VI here is considerably cheaper than a similarly
equipped Nagra V (i.e. with limiters, timecode, 96k capability
options fitted), and it offers twice as many mic preamps, three times
as many tracks, greater connectivity and a host of other useful
things.

It appears Nagra are re-positioning themselves from a
price/performance point of view by replacing the Nagra V with two
products that are better suited to what people are now doing with
location recording: the multi-channel Nagra VI, and the two-channel
LB.

Those two products alone cover much of the pro audio market's needs,
at prices that are more realistic (relative to earlier pricing). I
wouldn't be surprised to see some of Nagra's other products
disappearing as part of a rationalising of the product line. As I
understand it, production of the Nagra V has already ceased...

- Greg Simmons