1. Re: Olympus LS-10 reviews

Subject: 1. Re: Olympus LS-10 reviews
From: "Roy Beckham" royefinch
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:50 pm ((PDT))
First, I'd like to say that I appreciate all the feedback on the LS-10
and similar recorders. My needs are pretty basic and my ear not as
trained as some, but I did want a decent recorder that would provide
enjoyable recording. My main focus while on holiday has been
photography, but now the recording is adding another exciting dimension
to trips.

I looked to the new digital recorders and specifically those that record
to the same media used by my cameras because I wanted the ability to
backup my recording while away from my computer. On my last trip to
Australia I brought a Mindisc (MZ-M0) and used the ECM--DS70 mic
included with that MD. It provided a level of quality that I was pleased
with. However, after returning from the trip one of the discs failed and
has thus far not been retrievable. A real loss as I probably won't be
returning to Bedarra Island anytime soon. (I wanted to test the flight
characteristics of the recorder after discovering the lost data).  So
now the SD media from the LS-10 is easily backed up with my stand-alone
hard drives just like my camera cards while still on holiday. (I don't
bring a laptop)

The other disadvantage of the minidiscs is their size. I travel light
and you have to carry a couple of brick sized boxes to handle 20-30
hours of recording which just does not compare to the tiny SD cards.

So keep the comments coming as they are helping me to get the most out
of the recorder. Now off to make me a fuzzy squirrel for the mics....

Regards,

Roy