Re: Olympus LS-10 recording of Japanese bush warbler (built-in mics)

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10 recording of Japanese bush warbler (built-in mics)
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:18 am ((PDT))
Great example of the virtues of the recorder and event, Greg!

I believe the background at the beginning of the recording is quiet
enough to reveal a good deal of the character of the self-noise and
color of the built-in mics. As with Vicki's test, the low frequencies
are attenuated and there seems to be a lower-mid-range boost.  The
mics' self-noise is "warm" - spreading under 3K. There seems to be a
bit more audible noise in the right mic and (understandably) LF
handling noise throughout.

Of general interest, Vicki has demonstrated that one can
significantly improve the noise performance, stereo imaging and
probably the handling noise with Shure WL183 mics ($170 USD) and most
likely, Klas's EM-21's or EM-23's.

There seems to be a bit more echo coming from the right and from the
deep center. Do you happen to recall if that is consistent with the
setting? Rob D.

At 1:02 AM +0900 7/3/08, Greg Peterson wrote:
>Here is a 3-minute recording of a Japanese bush warbler (uguisu):
>
><http://www.notredame.ac.jp/~peterson/audio/nature/20080608/20080608-konze=
Message: 1.
Subject:
mp3>http://www.notredame.ac.jp/~peterson/audio/nature/20080608/20080608-k=