California fires and biophony observation

Subject: California fires and biophony observation
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Tue Jul 1, 2008 8:21 pm ((PDT))
This past week, with the residual smoke in the Central and Coastal
Valleys from the 800+ fires in the state, I went out to record the
dawn chorus on the ridge that borders Sonoma and Napa Counties the
first day and found it completely silent (23 June) =96 a vast
difference from just the day before when the air was clear. Even in
the relatively clearer air the past couple of days, there hasn't been
much vocal density, at least not what one would expect at this time
of year although vox will begin to drop off in mid-July.

Another thing I've noticed is the low numbers of private aircraft
that fly over our Valley of the Moon in Sonoma County =96 mostly
because of the high price of AvGas (now hovering around $6.50USD/
gal). I just wish this had happened a little earlier in the year.

Bernie Krause

> Messages in this topic (15)Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
> Messages | Files | Photos | Database | Members
> sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie
> Krause
> MARKETPLACE
> Blockbuster is giving away a FREE trial of - Blockbuster Total Access.

> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
> format to Traditional
> RECENT ACTIVITY
> 7
> New Members