Rob/Curt rig tried out

Subject: Rob/Curt rig tried out
From: "Andrew Carter" standlynch
Date: Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:39 am ((PDT))
At short notice managed a week in Scotland and decided rather than
change to a digital recorder I'd buy a pair of Rode NT2000 mics.
I made up a rig similar to that shown in Robs photo. Differences were:
I used 5"x5" board not 4" - found it fitted easier.
The cross piece was a rectangular section, and 6 inches in length. This
meant that I could screw to the cross piece a small shaped block that
replaced the Manfrotto quick release plate on my tripod - the 6" allowed
the two end boards to fit around the tripod head.
I've put two short recordings on the files section - hope you like the
effect.
Recorded on a MZ-RH1 with Art phantom power.

http://www.standlynch.co.uk/sound%20bites/Waves on Pebbles.mp3
http://www.standlynch.co.uk/sound%20bites/First%20Gully Fulmars.mp3

The first recording I have actually reduced the levels by 1 db as there
was ever so slight clipping from the falling stones - something I hadnt
appreciated until I got back.
In the second recording you can hear a faint buzz on the right chanel,
which occurs every 8 or 9 seconds - the first really noticable one is at
30 secs - esp. in spectral view. I've tried to replicate it back home
with no success - any suggestions as to what is causing it - and no I
didnt have a mibile phone with me.

Thanks to Rob for highlighting the possibilites of these mics - yes they
really are good in windy conditions - yes they are heavy but I carried
them in a case with the rig quite happily for 3/4 of a mile with tripod
- and to him and Curt for the rig.

Andrew