1. Re: Filtering

Subject: 1. Re: Filtering
From: "kevinwooding" kevinwooding
Date: Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:36 am ((PDT))
--- In  Scott Fraser
<> wrote:

> Max:
> You must be referring to SoundSoap 2 (NOT Pro), which is an
> altogether different application from SoundSoap Pro. There is no
Pro
> 2 version, & it is commercial-ware. Both are made by BIAS but the
> resemblance ends there. SoundSoap 2 is about 99 USD, While
SoundSoap
> Pro can be found for around 500 USD. The non-Pro version really is
> "one size fits all" application with very little user control
over
> parameters. I purchased the earlier (pre 2) version & in my
opinion
> it is worthless for professional work. In all cases I could
achieve
> better results with a parametric equalizer, with less detrimental
> effects upon the signal quality. Then again, I've been
engineering
> audio professionally for nearly 35 years. It's hard for me to
judge
> how difficult the Pro version would be to learn, as it's based on
the
> user interface of the graphic equalizer, a very intuitive device
> known primarily to all who mix live sound for concerts. The non-
Pro
> version certainly has a user interface designed not to intimidate
> those new to audio processing, but unfortunately I feel it
doesn't
> provide results one would be happy with. Again, in the CD
mastering
> business my need is for transparency & finesse with this sort of
> product. Perhaps others here have had better results with the
entry
> level version.
>
> Scott Fraser

Hi,

I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest
because I'm currently processing some recordings. For noise
reduction I've been experimenting with the Waves set of plugins
which I believe haven't been mentioned yet; their S1 Stereo imager
(for m/s decoding) and specifically Z-Noise for noise reduction,
which has been giving some very nice results. I wondered Scott (or
Rob et al...), if you've tried this software and have any insights
as to how to get the best out of it. All in all the approach sounds
very similar to the Sound Soap Pro plugin you've described.

The general tips posted earlier have already been great.

Cheers,
Kevin