1. Re: Filtering

Subject: 1. Re: Filtering
From: "Scott Fraser" scottbfraser
Date: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am ((PDT))
<<Hi,
I see that Soundsoap Pro2 is shareware at =A365.00, would it be worth a
beginner, such as myself, purchasing this? I'm just getting into using
Audition 1.5, but this thread certainly seems to imply advantages in
Soundsoap Pro, but is the learning curve too steep do you think for
someone at my stage of learning?
Regards

Max:
You must be referring to SoundSoap 2 (NOT Pro), which is an
altogether different application from SoundSoap Pro. There is no Pro
2 version, & it is commercial-ware. Both are made by BIAS but the
resemblance ends there. SoundSoap 2 is about 99 USD, While SoundSoap
Pro can be found for around 500 USD. The non-Pro version really is a
"one size fits all" application with very little user control over
parameters. I purchased the earlier (pre 2) version & in my opinion
it is worthless for professional work. In all cases I could achieve
better results with a parametric equalizer, with less detrimental
effects upon the signal quality. Then again, I've been engineering
audio professionally for nearly 35 years. It's hard for me to judge
how difficult the Pro version would be to learn, as it's based on the
user interface of the graphic equalizer, a very intuitive device
known primarily to all who mix live sound for concerts. The non-Pro
version certainly has a user interface designed not to intimidate
those new to audio processing, but unfortunately I feel it doesn't
provide results one would be happy with. Again, in the CD mastering
business my need is for transparency & finesse with this sort of
product. Perhaps others here have had better results with the entry
level version.

Scott Fraser