Re: Frog identification

Subject: Re: Frog identification
From: "Walter Knapp" waltknapp
Date: Wed May 28, 2008 5:31 pm ((PDT))
Posted by: "David Michael"

> I was curious if someone on the list (Walt you still here?) can assist =

> in the identification of a frog I snapped this weekend in the
> Princeton NJ area. I unfortunately was not on a recording trip so I
> have no audio.
>
> At first I thought it was a Northern Leopard Frog, but now I think
> that perhaps it is a Pickerel Frog.

Pickerel Frog. The square blocks in ladder formation down the back, and
all the yellow underneath kind of give it away.  Note I'm not a expert
on the variations of Northern Leopard Frogs, we have Southern Leopard
Frogs here. But I'd expect a Leopard Frog to have round spots and not so
regularly arranged. And not as yellow.

Just another little note. It took me over two hours to get down those
three photos through my modem. When you put photos up on the web, edit
them to appropriate sizes for the web, no one will be viewing these at
full size on their computer monitor.  I've a very large monitor and it
just puts them at 1/3 size in photoshop or 40% size in firefox.

You do not have to apologize for photographs.  I do nature recording
with a camera as well as a sound recorder.