Re: SD 702 Battery Switch-over Failure

Subject: Re: SD 702 Battery Switch-over Failure
From: "John Hartog" hartogj
Date: Mon May 26, 2008 10:58 pm ((PDT))
Hi Rob,
My adapter is wired pin-1 to negative, pin-4 to positive as the 702
manual recommends for use with an external battery pack. Wired that
way, it does nothing until the recorder is turned on, at which point
the external battery pack both charges (tops up)the attached Lion
battery and runs the recorder until the external battery reaches about
Message: 8.
Subject: 5V at which point a little roulette wheel spins inside the recorder
deciding the fate of the file in progress.

Replies from SD to my inquires suggest not using NiMH battery packs
but Lion instead. They did not suggest that anything might be wrong
with my recorder, which leaves me to assume it is normal for the
battery switch-over circuitry (at least in 702 recorders) to be far
from fail safe.  I have not yet tried the SD users forum - but will soon.

I have been using AA NiMH because that's what I have around, and did
not want to spend money on a new battery/charger system. I liked the
idea of keeping my external battery pack fairly small, providing just
enough extra to get a full night of recording when combined with the
attached Sony NP-F970 battery.  I have tried several AA pack schemes
now, and all have proven unreliable.

For now I just need to put together a bigger battery pack - enough
power to fill an 8GB card without needing the internal battery at all.
I like your D-cell pack, so I'll probably give that a try.

John Hartog