Re: Unexpected SD 722 Lithium Battery Failure (was SD 702 co

Subject: Re: Unexpected SD 722 Lithium Battery Failure (was SD 702 co
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon May 26, 2008 8:20 am ((PDT))
At 6:19 AM +0000 5/19/08, John Hartog wrote:
>Hi Rob, you say, "You can also set the "shut-off" voltage lower, like
>10 volts when you use the external DC input."
>
>Though I have not tried using an external pack without an attached
>battery also installed, at least on the 702 I think that setting you
>mention only changes the the low voltage indicator and warning alarm,
>but the switch over voltage (if I remember correctly, ~7 volts )is not
>changeable.

I believe you are correct, John.  The manual says the 744T
automatically switches to the internal battery at 9 volts. Starting
with a  14.4 - 18 volt battery pack extends the operation time
considerably over that of a 12 volt pack. The factory alarm setting
of 11 volts seems too high for my higher voltage/higher amperage
battery packs.

>I still have not solved my battery switch-over problem that results in
>corrupted files.

I've never had this happen-- no matter the powering situation as long
as I have a charged Lion battery installed.  My 744T always closes
out the files on the HD and also tells me upon re-powering that it
powered down early and asks if I want to check for lost files on the
HD.

How is your Hirose external battery connecter wired? Pin 1(-) and
4(+) should provide power without charging the removable 7.2 volt
battery and the configuration of pin 1(-)  and pin 3 (+) should
provide power and charge the removable 7.2 volt battery. I use the
later wiring on my primary Hirose cables because it encourages me to
start off both batteries fully-charged. The wiring shouldn't make a
difference but its the only thing I can think of that is not
programming related,..  Did you check the SD users forum?  Rob D.