SD 7XX External Powering Options (was SD 702 compact flash card corr

Subject: SD 7XX External Powering Options (was SD 702 compact flash card corr
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon May 19, 2008 1:26 am ((PDT))
At 6:45 AM +0000 5/19/08, tempjez wrote:
>  >
>>  The only problem I have had with this is AC (60 Hz) hum. It seems
>>  depend which outlet I plug into. Or perhaps it is the routing of
>the
>>  extension cord. Anyway, I always need to check the setup for hum
>>  before I leave it. Once I eliminate the hum, it works just fine.
>>

>Thanks for that Ed - perhaps you (& others) could say more about
>this mains hum issue. I've heard about this before but usually in
>relation to cheaper machines.
>
>so:
>1) how do you eliminate the mains hum if it's there ?
>2) any tips for avoiding it ?

My AC transformer worked without line hum until I dropped it one day.
Rather than buy a new one, I power my 744T at home on a smaller 12
volt lead acid battery made for a lawn tractor ($25 USD). The tractor
battery is permanently connected to a 1 amp 12 volt DC trickle
charger. I get no hum and don't risk losing files if the power goes
out when transferring to my (battery-powered) laptop-- which can take
up to 3 hours when the SD 744T's HD is full. The ($15USD) trickle
charger is made for motorcycle batteries.

>3) anyone else had any experience of this on SD recorders ?
>4) anyone out there got any opinions on non-US power / Euro power
>issues ? I'm in the UK which has a 240v mains system with the rest
>of Europe having less v - anyone got any tips / advice etc in
>regards to powering using different power supplies between countries
>etc ?
>
>5) finally, in relation to my other enquiry I wonder if someone out
>there would be prepared to put together some kind of definative,
>basic guide to the different powering options for SD recorders in
>terms of using them in the field.

I'm not sure anyone is prepared to do this except the manufacturer.
Did you run through the  manual and the archive posts on the topic?
There are many suggestions in there you can correlate:
http://tinyurl.com/3nfoy6

Rob D.