Re: Compact Flash audio recorders

Subject: Re: Compact Flash audio recorders
From: "Raimund Specht" animalsounds
Date: Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 am ((PDT))
Hi Colin,

Yes, the Olympus LS-10 would be also a good choice. Certainly its mic
preamp is very good. It is of the quietest in his class:
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm

Another less expensive recorder would be the TASCAM DR-1
(http://www.avisoft.com/DR-1.pdf). I like this unit because it
provides an additional rugged 1/4" microphone input. The maximum gain
on this input is not very high, but it works just fine with a
Sennheiser K6/ME66 microphone. It is operated from a replaceable
Li-ion battery that lasts about 5 hours. The operating time could be
extended  by using an external USB power pack, such as the APC Mobile
Power Pack (http://tinyurl.com/ruo2e).

I would not recommend the M-Audio MicroTrack II because its internal
battery cannot be replaced and because of its relatively high noise
floor, which got worse compared to its predecessor model MicroTrack 24/96.

Regards,
Raimund