Re: Portable Ears

Subject: Re: Portable Ears
From: "Lou Judson" inaudio
Date: Tue May 13, 2008 7:39 am ((PDT))
I can't find the link right now, but the purpose of these devices it
to detect and locate airplanes heading for the allies form the Axis
in WWII - they came into use just before the development of Radar
made them obsolete. So there is not pretension to hi fidelisty or
music uses - they are driectional enough to detect airplanes coming
in so they can be shot down... There were various types, some on
calibrated mounts and others worm by humans.

There were also huge reflecting sound gatherers from 20 feet across
to 200 feet, on the southern coast of England. Planes were slow
moving enough at the time for the acoustic warning to help in defense
needs. Here's a site that says they were in use to detect ships in
fog, too, with some wild inventions pictured: <http://
www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/COMMS/ear/ear.htm>

<L>