Hi-MD "bottoming-out" (was Plug In Power

Subject: Hi-MD "bottoming-out" (was Plug In Power
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:20 am ((PDT))
At 7:54 AM -0500 4/24/08, Curt Olson wrote:
>Rob D. wrote:
>
>  > At one time, there was speculation that the low PIP voltage in Hi-MD
>  > could be responsible for "bottoming-out" distortion with electret
>  > mics. Later, it was discovered that if one uses the "Lo Sens" setting
>  > when recording loud sounds that this problem went away. Loud sounds
>  > can be defined as those that require a record level of "11" or lower
>  > in the "Hi Sens" mode. Rob D.
>
>Welll, not exactly... Hi-MD recorders will bottom out at "Hi Sens,"
>"Low Sens" and line in. It's about low Hz content, not overall level.
>The only thing that makes it go away reliably is low HZ cut filtering.

We may be experiencing a discrepancy here, Curt.

Yes, sounds with lots of low-frequency content do make the problem
more evident in Hi-Sens mode, but after Greg Evans prompted the group
to try the "Low Sens" setting, I was not able to personally create
the problem with using this setting on my  NH900  and NH700 Hi-MD
recorders with WM-61a, WL-183 and EM-158 electret mics. I tested
rumbling thunder and a close-mic'd idling diesel engine. Using
"Lo-Sens," however, does not work-around the limited max input level
of these electret mic models (~120dB SPL max).

>This problem goes at least as far back as the TCD-Dx series of
>porta-DAT recorders, and even to the NT-1 micro DAT.
>
>I'm curious to know if Sony's new solid state recorders still do it.

Could be, especially if the D50 uses the same Kasei AK5356 ADC/mic
pre chip. I've not come across/heard any side by side comparisons
including the D50 made with low-noise mics. Rob D.