Re: Controlling a Sound Devices recorder automatically

Subject: Re: Controlling a Sound Devices recorder automatically
From: "Aaron Ximm" aaron_gmail
Date: Mon Apr 7, 2008 2:43 pm ((PDT))

> >>  > Hoping someone either knows of a lower cost alternative to the Sound
> >>  > Devices CL1, which costs around US$325-375 or has some control
> >>  > documentation on Sound Devices' communications protocol.
> >>
> >>  The protocol is available publicly. I myself am working on a lil
> remote
> >>  control (very simple, just rec/stop and some VU Led's).
> >>  The PDF used to live on their website. It doesnt seem to be currently.
> >>  Email them im sure its there somewhere.
> >
> >[approaching off topic]
> >
> >I would be interested in this approach as well, at my day job I am
> testing a
> >new (Microchip microcontroller-based) product I just coded firmware for
> that
> >can send serial control strings according to a real-time clock based
> >schedule; the whole product runs on 6V DC and could be powered by a large
> >capacity battery for a very long time in the field. I was curious if I
> could
> >do the same sort of thing... :)
> >
> >Anton, do you have a copy of that document that you could drop in the
> files
> >area of the group for us to look at?
> >
> >b e st
> >aaron
> >

> I'm not clear what folks' goals are, but for starting/stopping the
> recorder at programmed times, there's a setting in the 722/744T menu
> that will instruct the recorder to start recording every time you
> supply power at the external power jack and to stop recording every
> time you cease power at the external power jack.

Me,

I am curious to try some unusual things like making 5 minute recordings on
the hour every hour for weeks off my porch, etc., things like that...

...andsince I work making products that can do this sort of thing it's a fun
project idea! :)

Of course, with our daughter just hitting two months my ability to take on
really adventurous projects is limited... but this one could be in the
afternoon-of-effort category I think... :)

 aaron

--

quietamerican.org
oneminutevacation.org