Re: matching mic specs with recorder preamp -- thanks Rob D!

Subject: Re: matching mic specs with recorder preamp -- thanks Rob D!
From: "Greg Simmons" simmosonics
Date: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:53 am ((PDT))
In reference to Rode's SVM, Rob Danielson wrote: "...and it features
an X-Y array which isn't very exciting or life-like as stereo goes,
IMHO."

I mention the following purely as a data point...

In December 2006 I was making atmos recordings in the Himalaya, with
seven audio students and a collection of different recording rigs. At
the low cost end, we were using Rode's SVM into a Sony HiMD (set to
record linear PCM). We were also using a Rode NT4 into a Marantz
PMD670, and a Schoeps MS pair (cardioid M capsule) into a Nagra V.

The consensus at the time was that the SVM produced a better and more
'involving' stereo image than the NT4, and was more akin to the
Schoeps MS pair. This suggests that the XY pair in the SVM deviates
from the NT4, possibly with more directional polar responses and/or a
wider angle and/or a small gap between the capsules (a la Gerzon). I
am currently in the process of sorting all of those recordings, and
will hopefully find something conclusive. I know we have a number of
recordings made with the Schoeps MS pair and the SVM side-by-side, but
I'm hoping to find some with NT4 and SVM together.

- Greg Simmons