Mixing Level Calibration (was Re: inverse loudness EQ

Subject: Mixing Level Calibration (was Re: inverse loudness EQ
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:11 pm ((PDT))
At 10:27 AM +1200 3/31/08, grant finlay wrote:
>Posted by: "Rob Danielson" <type%40uwm.edu> danielson_a=
udio
>Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:53 am (PDT)
>
><Yes, a playback level must be established and retained, then EQ
>applied. Still, I can't tell you what volume to use.>
>
>Here's something that may help....
>
>-20 dBFS pink noise for broadcast/film, 1 speaker at a time, 82 dB
>SPL at the listening position for small or average setups, 85 dB SPL
>for larger studios.
>
>85dB is used because that is where we perceive frequencies to "be
>equal".
>
>Grant

Hi Grant,
Thanks. This method is definitely worth experimenting with. Easily
repeatable.  A max of 102-104 dB SPL is close to what I used for my
last enclosed installation.  Next factor might be establishing a
minimum background level based on expected ambient noise levels.
That might be in the neighborhood of  -40 dB or even lower in a very
controlled environment. It helps to able to establish minimum
background for nature material at low levels. This is a little more
practical today with more folks using headphones for critical
listening and having headphones as an option in living spaces with
high ambient background levels.  Gordon Hempton's calibration tone is
a pretty clever way to address this, though it probably wouldn't work
for headphones as well. Maintaining "program level" in a nature
recording is trickier without steady dialogue tracks to reference but
locking in on a volume/amp setting and dynamic range creates a solid
foundation. Rob D.