Re: New To Field Recording - Need Microphone Recommendation

Subject: Re: New To Field Recording - Need Microphone Recommendation
From: "Philip Tyler" macmang4125
Date: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:41 am ((PDT))
Hi Mark,

I think you will find that the K6/ME66's noise floor of 10dB will be of muc=
h greater advantage to you in the long term than the 18dB noise of the NTG-=
Message: 2.

The K6 module is the 'body' of the ME series which all the capsules fit ont=
o, this unit can be powered by either a battery or phantom power. As your r=
ecorder does not supply phantom volts you can use the unit with an AA sized=
 battery inserted into it. Be aware there is a K6P unit that can only be po=
wered by phantom volts it does not have the battery option.

You will need a lead with an XLR one end for the microphone and a 3.5 mm ja=
ck the other so as to connect the mic to the recorder. These you can buy or=
 make yourself quite easily by wiring pin-2 of the XLR to both the tip and =
ring of a stereo 3.5 mm jack and wiring pin-1 and pin-3 of the XLR to the s=
leeve of the 3.5 mm jack. This will 'mono' the feed to the recorder so it r=
ecords the same to both tracks in stereo, I don't know if the Marantz you m=
ention can record in mono?

Phil