Re: New To Field Recording - Need Microphone Recommendation

Subject: Re: New To Field Recording - Need Microphone Recommendation
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:12 pm ((PDT))
Mark,

I'm not sure which recordings you are listening to, but if they are
the ones posted to various video production sites I caution about the
applicability to nature recording.

Nature recording is done in much quieter conditions as a rule, and
the self-noise if far more of an issue than can be judged from the
kind of close proximity vocal tests typically favored by the video
sites.  For nature recording the 6-8db difference in self-noise is
significant. The dB scale is non-linear so 6dB lower self-noise is a
50% reduction. Looking at it the other way 16dB is double the
loudness of 10dB.  I initially purchased a  AT897  but quickly
realised the self-noise was very intrusive and upgraded to a K6/ME66.
I can assure you the differences in self-noise and usability for
nature recording can not be described as close in any sense of the word.

cheers
Paul