Re: Using Line Input/Ext Pre (was Olympus LS-10)

Subject: Re: Using Line Input/Ext Pre (was Olympus LS-10)
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:28 pm ((PDT))
The advantage I found with an external pre-amp hooked to an RH1 was
that you eliminate some of the digital hash that the internal preamp
seemed to pickup.

I found that when the RH1 spins up the MD at the beginning of a
recording there is an obvious whine that will break through the noise
floor on the internal preamp. John Beale also did some tests that
illustrated the write noise produced by the recorder.

http://beale.best.vwh.net/measure/audio/RH1-noise/index.html

That said an external  preamp will only really provide a benefit if
it offers a noise floor that matches or betters the internal mic pre.

cheers
Paul