Re: Portable mic preamp suggestions

Subject: Re: Portable mic preamp suggestions
From: "flan9" flan9
Date: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:08 pm ((PDT))
Hi Bill
I've had good results with p-i-p mics, the Edirol R-09 and the FEL battery
preamp:
http://www.felmicamps.co.uk/products/felbattpreamp.html
I can't  comment on the other preamps you mention but I find that this one
gives me
enough gain for me to operate the R-09 at much less hissy settings. I'm pretty
pleased
with it.
There's quite a lot of detail on using the R-09 with a preamp here:
http://www.sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm
(The page also suggests a way of attaching a small preamp of this kind to the
back of the
R-09.)
This issue is also much discussed on the taperssection forums (though by people
who're
after noiser sounds).
Reading archival comments on this list has persuaded me that the R-09 + preamp
is a far
from ideal option, particularly if you're recording quiet source sounds.
However, if, like me
a while ago, you're looking for an improvement to your basic set-up that
doesn't require
the purchase of a new recording device then a preamp of this kind should help.
Will

--- In  "William Ruscher Jr." <>