Re: Olympus LS-10

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:00 am ((PDT))
Gianni Pavan wrote:

> How much time the LS 10 takes to switch on and record ?

The LS-10 has 2GB of built-in memory.  When you're using the recorder
without an additional SDHC card, it takes 3 to 4 seconds to power on
and be ready to record.

When I used the LS-10 with a 4GB SDHC card, the startup time varied
from 6 seconds to 11 seconds.  I think the recorder spends the extra
time examining the card to make sure it's properly formatted.

> any pre-recording buffer ?

Unfortunately, no.

> If you have a Zoom H2 too, can you compare their noise ?

I can't do a direct comparison.

> Another question about the remote control (optional) : can you say
> how it operates ?

Olympus has not shipped the remote control yet.  I believe it uses
infrared signals, like a TV remote control, to start and stop the
recorder.

The LS-10 lacks a number of features that are found in more expensive
small recorders like the Marantz PMD620.  Examples include

activate recording by sound? -- no
ability to manually split tracks during record? or playback? -- no
insert track marks? -- no
mic attenuation -- no (just high and low sensitivity)
programmable dB level of peak LED? -- no
sort files by date created? -- sort manually
battery type (alkaline or NiMH) -- can't specify
long file names -- no
easily repeat track playback -- no
audible "scrub" during rewind? -- no

Of these, the lack of long file names is annoying.  The only format
for file names is "LS10xxxx.WAV," where xxxx is a counter up to 9999.
 This naming convention will make it very easy to end up with two
files that have the same name (from two recorders, for example, or
after resetting the recorder to its default settings).

I really have to finish writing my report!

--oryoki