Re: Olympus LS-10

Subject: Re: Olympus LS-10
From: "Gianni Pavan" gianni_pavan
Date: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:44 am ((PDT))
Hi Oryoki
     your definition of "point and shoot" is great. For this type of
recording it is important the ability to instantaneous start
recording, possibly with some pre-record memory. This means that the
recorded should be ON while waiting for some sounds....
It is also important that the recorder can be switched on and be
operative quickly.
I like the Zoom H2 but it takes a lot of time to switch on. It seems
this depends on the size/type of the memory card. With my 4GB card it
takes near a minute to be operative. that is really BAD.

How much time the LS 10 takes to switch on and record ? any
pre-recording buffer ?
If you have a Zoom H2 too, can you compare their noise ?

ANother question about the remote control (optional) : can you say
how it operates ? I'm particularly interested in recorders with good
chances to be remote controlled.

Gianni

At 02.19 25/03/2008, you wrote:

>Gianni Pavan wrote:
> >...some time ago there were messages about the LS-10. but no definitive
> > words about its suitability for nature recording...
>
>I am guilty as charged. I haven't found time to complete wrting of my
>review. Let me say that the preamp of the LS-10 is pretty good, about
>the same as the Marantz PMD620 and other small recorders. But it's
>not in the same league as the Fostex FR-2LE or other full-size
>recorders.
>
>In fact, I think the Sony Hi-MD preamp is still the best small machine
>for nature recording (where high gain and low sound pressure levels
>are common). The Sony PCM-D50 is very good, but a lot larger.
>
>That said, I like the LS-10 very much as a pocket "point and shoot"
>recorder. Its got durable construction, nice small size, and very
>good ergonomics. Battery life is excellent, too.
>
>In my way of thinking, the "point and shoot" recorder should be small
>enough that you will always be willing to carry it along. The
>recorder should have built-in mics, or some very small external mic
>setup that allows you to carry your gear in a pocket, and start
>recording almost instantaneously. You should be able to operate a
>"point and shoot" recorder with one hand, without a lot of navigating
>through menus for important settings.
>
>My purpose for the "point and shoot" recorder is to capture
>serendipitous moments in the field with enough clarity that I can
>identify and enjoy the sound source once I get home. A "point and
>shoot" recorder is also great for making voice notes about the day's
>outing.
>
>--oryoki

Gianni Pavan
Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
Universita' degli Studi di Pavia, Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
Phone       +39-0382-987874    Fax +39-02-700-32921
Email
Web       http://www.unipv.it/cibra