Re: New Equipment

Subject: Re: New Equipment
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:08 am ((PDT))
At 6:02 AM +0000 3/20/08, John Tudor wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I'm in the market for a recorder. I'm swaying between the Korg MR 1000
>or the Sound Devices 702/722.
>
>It will be mainly used in the context of nature/ambiant/bird sounds etc.
>
>One of the things I dislike about the Korg, is that the connections
>are at the back (as opposed to the side for the 702/722) and when used
>in a shoulder bag in an upright position, the plugs may get strained a
>bit. But I could be seeing a problem where there really isn't one.
>
>Does anyone have any thoughts (good or bad) on either unit??
>
>Regards
>John

Hi John--
I can only make distant observations as I haven't used the Korg or
heard a comparison of it with other recorders familiar to us. I see
that Raimund measured the noise bed of the Korg's mic pre and found
it to be noisier than that of Hi-MD and the 702:
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm  This might be consistent
with web discussion about the Korg being noisier than some people
hoped for.  I couldn't determine from Korg's specs how much gain the
Korg's mic pre has. It looks pretty, doesn't it?

Raimund also has an interesting .pdf with graphics of the high gain
noise performance of a number of recorders with NT1-A's and other
mics. http://www.selffish.org/tmp/noisefloors.pdf  Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: