Re: Hello. A question about mics and desert penguins

Subject: Re: Hello. A question about mics and desert penguins
From: "" flawn1951
Date: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:10 am ((PDT))
<< I doubt I will be able to get very close to the colony but I understand
the sound of thousands of penguins - known as "jackass penguins" for their
braying - is an amazing sound to behold. >>

If the jackasses in Peru are like the ones on the Argentine Patagonian coast,
you will be able to get very close; I recorded at Punta Tombo in Argentina
and the animals are very tolerant of human presence.

<<Any advice for microphones for this rock covered, crashing-sea environment?
I'd like the colony sounds as separate from the sea as possible>>

Another characteristic of this environment is high wind, so an omni is the
safest mike in that regard. An omni on a parabolic dish would get you some
reach
while retaining some wind tolerance. A shotgun, unless zeppelin'ed within an
inch of its life, will be useless in high wind.

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money &amp;
Finance.
      (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)