Hello. A question about mics and desert penguins

Subject: Hello. A question about mics and desert penguins
From: "R. Scott Vance" nethead33
Date: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 am ((PDT))
Hello all:

I'm new to your group. I've recorded all my life - but never for a living. I
started as a 4th grader with 4 inch reel to reels to send notes to my father in
Viet Nam, then I commandeered my Dad's reel to reels (Hitachi and Akai) to do
all manor of audio play. Then it was on to various tape devices, computers and
small digital devices. I have a minidisc now for field recording. I often use a
tiny stereo mic (omni) that I drop down into hidden spaces with streams and
animals....

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
I will be traveling to the dry, rocky, coast of Southern Peru in late April to
research the sights, sounds and activities of Humboldt penguins. I have an old
minidisc recorder (Sharp 722) and plan to record the penguin colony as well as
individual penguins as best I can. I doubt I will be able to get very close to
the colony but I understand the sound of thousands of penguins - known as
"jackass penguins" for their braying - is an amazing sound to behold. Any
advice for microphones for this rock covered, crashing-sea environment? I'd
like the colony sounds as separate from the sea as possible... and of course
have limited budget (How unique!) A friend has a shotgun mic he might loan me
but I'm wondering if a parabolic setup might be worth exploring. I want to
travel light - it's a remote area.

Thanks!

-r.

R. Scott Vance