3. Re: Getting organised...

Subject: 3. Re: Getting organised...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:44 pm ((PDT))
At 6:36 PM +0000 3/11/08, sound_alex wrote:
>To all of you who are considering using iTunes: newer versions
>(probably > 6) of it use XML to store libraries. That makes them
>_very_ portable, even without iTunes. Unfortunately, you can't add
>custom tags (that is: you can, but as soon as you change the entry via
>iTunes' Info Dialog, your custom tag is gone). However, one could set
>a flag in one of the various fields (such as "Comments" or "Grouping")
>and have a second program or script parse the XML file and
>extract/process all flagged entries.
>
>Alex

Hi Alex--
  Excellent idea as long as its simple to do. We could flag "grouping"
to expand into more fields that nature recordists could attempt to
standardize and use "comments" or another field for another expansion
set.  Know anyone "looking" for such a project?  ;-)

We also have the .wav files/iTunes ID3 tag incompatibility to work
out towards the "free and cross-platform" goals. Anyone with iTunes
on PC, can you add a tag to a.wav file? If not, can you try changing
your Preferences ->Advanced -> Export default format to AIFF(?) and
convert a .wav to aiff and then see if you can tag it?  Rob D.