4. Re: Getting organised...

Subject: 4. Re: Getting organised...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 am ((PDT))
At 9:50 PM +0530 3/10/08, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
>(Cc: to list dropped because I came in late to this thread, and I'm
>responding out of context.)
>
>At 2008-03-10 10:56:10 -0500,  wrote:
>>
>>  Assuming folks want to be able to fill-in most of the meta tag info
>>  quickly (date, location, overall, species, mic rig, etc.), we need an
>>  application that will add iTunes compatible tags to all of the (.wav
>>  and aiff) sound files from a given "outing."  I believe iTunes uses
>>  ID2 and ID3 tags.
>
>AFAIK, ID2/ID3 tags apply only to MP3 files.
>
>Simplifying slightly, WAV and AIFF files consist of a sequence of chunks
>(yes, that's a technical term ;-), each having a type field, with values
>that means things like "audio data", "author name", or "comment". These
>chunks are what you would want the program to add to the recordings.
>
>As an aside, if you can run Perl programs on your platform, I could
>easily whip up a program to do such annotation/extraction. It should
>work fine on Windows or Mac OS X, but I can't test it because I don't
>have access to either platform (I use UNIX).
>
>-- ams

Hi Abhijit--
You are very much on topic. Thanks.

I think I'm able to create tags on aiff sound files, individually
with iTunes. Here's how I tested this.

I created a folder with three untagged files, (1) .wav (16/44k)  (2)
.aiff (16/44K) and (3) an mp3.
I set my prefs in iTunes to _not_ duplicate imported files. I set my
export setting to aiff 44/16.
I created a new playlist in iTunes.
I dropped the folder with the three files into the playlist and they
appears without tags.
I added text info in the tag cells of all three sound files.
I made a copy of this folder and re-imported it into iTunes: the
.aiff and mp3 files had acquired tags.
I used the advanced->convert function (aiff standard) to convert the
wav I had previously added a tag to. The aiff copy retained the tag
info. I didn't try exporting the tag info pre conversion.

Are there non standard "issues" with these tags added to aiff files
with iTunes? Could be. Note that I added the tags to individual
files-- not to a bunch at once. iTunes might not see the tag info on
files other apps have added to aiffs (should they exist).

That fact that .wavs won't inherent tags without conversion to .aiff
is also disappointing.  Maybe there's a work-around or a later
version of iTunes will.  iTunesv.7.0.2 Mac OS X 10.4.8 QT7.1.3 seems
to see the aiff tags just fine.

The iTunes path ahead looks a little darker but still worth pursuing.

Re: Perl-
I've not used it, but it appears to be feeware. Would it be fairly
easy for recordists to use? You bet I'll give it a whirl. Perhaps
others will as well. Thanks for you offer! Rob D.