Re: Super high speed recording method?

Subject: Re: Super high speed recording method?
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:33 pm ((PDT))
Thomas, to record Dall's Porpoises back in the early 80s, I recall
using a HP
instrumentation device w/ 1/4" tape that ran at 120ips. I don't know
if any machines survive, but they were then available from two sources:
Hubbs Sea World Research Institute in San Diego, and Long Marine Labs
at UC Santa Cruz. I don't think either lab actually owned
one of these, but got it either the the Office of Naval Research
(ONR) or directly through HP.

Bernie Krause

On Mar 10, 2008, at 6:46 PM, Thomas Ashcraft wrote:

> Question : I want to do some *super* high speed audio recording and
> wonder what sort of technology is available for this these days? Is
> anything available to the "prosumer" maybe?
>
> My application is to audio record Jovian radio bursts and then look as
> deep as possible into one second's worth of time. I have seen
> spectrographs of audio recordings where they ran tape at many many
> inches per second. ( I can't remember exactly how many inches per
> second
> but maybe 100 inches or maybe 300 inches per second . Not sure
> about the
> actual speed but *fast* in any case. )
>
> I thank you in advance for pointing me to any information or
> resources.
>
> Thomas Ashcraft

Wild Sanctuary
POB 536
Glen Ellen, CA 95442
707-996-6677
http://www.wildsanctuary.com

Google Earth zooms: Earth.WildSanctuary.com