7. Re: Getting organised...

Subject: 7. Re: Getting organised...
From: "Greg Weddig" gweddig
Date: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:06 pm ((PDT))
I've been following this thread closely but been unable to post, I was
the one with the Filemaker database.  I admit that Filemaker is not
the last word in database programs and there are many easier options.
I use Filemaker because I have it, I know how to use it and it's
pretty easy to export to something different if I need to, also mac
and pc compliant.

My sound library resides partially on my hard drive and partially on
DVD and CD backup.  According to my database I have about 200 hours
(750 records) of ambient recordings, too much for me to keep on a hard
drive right now.  My database does not link to my files other than a
reference number on the primary and secondary (remote site) backups.
It works for me.

While I think it would be great to have all of the metadata built into
the file I think I have far too many fields for this.  I'm attaching a
 summary of the fields in my Filemaker database.  It is painful to
record all of this data every time, but I think it will make the
database more valuable in the future.  Please let me know any files
you use that I don't have listed.  I based these partially on the
worksheet Bernie provided on page 107-109 of _Wild Soundscapes_.

--greg weddig
Baltimore, MD
http://gregweddig.net

(parentheses are an example of what I use a field for)
~~~~~~~
Library ID# (sequenced assigned number)
--
# of individuals (number of callers)
Biome   Category (desert, forest, tunnel, city park)
Aquatic Habitat (brackish swamp, pond, stream)
Terrestrial Habitat (meadow clearing, deciduous forest)
Common Name (Northern Cardinal)
Species (Cardinalis cardinalis)
Vox Type (warning call, song etc)
Sex
--
Site (Lizard Mound park)
Country
GPS (coordinates, link to google earth)
Local time
Recording date
Source Distance (estimated)
State\Province
Altitude (based off of GPS reading)
Weather
Climate
Sunrise\Moonrise
Moon phase
Title (if I have a recording title)
--
Track Duration (length of recording)
DAT #
PNO
Absolute End Time (used for DAT archiving)
Absolute Start Time(used for DAT archiving)
Backup (Where is it, DVD or CD)
Bit/Freq
CD (backup recording)
CD Cut #
Digi Channels
Location (where is the file)
Field notes (general notes on the recording, windy, traffic noise, low
cut filters etc)
File Type (mp3, wav, flac)
MD #
MD Track #
Primary Mics
Primary Preamp
Primary Stereo pattern
Secondary Mics
Secondary Preamp
Secondary Stereo pattern
Quality (Pristine, Best, Good, Fair, Poor)
Recorder (MD, 744, MD500)
Recordist
Season (summer winter spring fall)
Type (quad, stereo, 5.1 etc)