2. Re: Getting organised...

Subject: 2. Re: Getting organised...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:56 am ((PDT))
At 7:44 AM +0000 3/10/08, kit8parrish9 wrote:
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>
>Rob Danielson <> wrote:
>
>>  we're looking for an application that can "strip"
>>  the meta tags from a folder of .wav files and output a single text or
>>  spreadsheet chunk that can be easily pasted into a master record
>>  sheet.
>
>iTunes can do this. Import the collection of wav files into iTunes,
>make a playlist of them,
>and Export the playlist to a unicode text file. The resulting txt
>file is a tab delimited display
>of all the metadata that iTunes recognizes (about 29 fields in the
>example I just made), and
>can be viewed as a spreadsheet with all the data from the collection
>in the proper rows and
>columns.

Excellent! Free. Cross-platform. I'll try it. In addition to a
spreadsheet, one could enter tab delimited tags into a table in Word
or similar.

Assuming folks want to be able to fill-in most of the meta tag info
quickly (date, location, overall, species, mic rig, etc.), we need an
application that will add iTunes compatible tags to all of the (.wav
and aiff) sound files from a given "outing."  I believe iTunes uses
ID2 and ID3 tags. After the files are in iTunes, one can add-update
info to each recording.  Maybe iTunes can do this too,..

iTunes is also good fit because one can also import a QT Pro created
"reference movies" (sound file pointers) into iTunes so one can play
an exact section or sections of a recordings with its own meta tag.
Not having to export separate files to do this saves space but also
means the context of the excerpt is preserved.

Thanks! We're making some headway on this.
Rob D.