Rode NT2000's (was Seeking advice for a beginner

Subject: Rode NT2000's (was Seeking advice for a beginner
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:20 am ((PST))
At 8:50 AM +0000 2/23/08, Michael Oates wrote:
>Rob,
>
>That's great to hear that these mics do not seem to suffer, I have a
>couple of NT2000's
>and I would never have thought of using them outside for wildlife
>recording. I am curious,
>do you record with those shopping bags over the windshields, if so,
>how is the sound
>affected.

Hi Michael--  You should definitely take your NT2000's out. Here's a
picture of the rig I'm using now:
http://ad2004.hku.nl/naturesound/RobD/NT2000-Head-Spaced-Baffled-Rig-Daniel=
son.jpg
This rig seems to take advantage of the NT2000's unique omni polar
pattern quite well.  I interpret their low-midrange response
(125-700Hz) as "very even" and capable of producing less of that
"roar" impression from the background "air" or "presennce."
Excellent transient response.  I believe Walt is also experimenting
with rigs for these mics. We haven't heard about Bruce Wilson's
practices in a while.

The .5 mil bags are just my quick way of shielding the mics from
side-ways driving rain. I monitor the mics much of the time and I
have let the recorder roll with the plastic bag on. The rhythm and
spatiality of tiny ice pellets on the bag was fun to listen to. The
bag attenuates the high-end noticeably and, of course, makes obvious
noises with the slightest breeze.

I've used umbrellas for rain but they can easily collapse or blow
away in a gust. With these Rode's, I can get away using a 24" X 24"
plywood roof that is 18" above the rig. The platform does obstruct
part of the sky and it reflects a tiny amount of ground-level sound
from a narrow ring around the rig, but seems to provide 90% of the
rain/snow/ice shielding required. When there's rain and breeze up to
12-15 mph, or when the temp is below freezing and the wind is strong,
I just let the mics sit in the open with just their faux fur covers.
The snow and rain that does get in hasn't been enough to saturate the
capsules and harm the mics, so far.

I'm preparing a diffuse field, low ambient noise background
localization test between an MS rig comprised of a mkh40/80 pair, a
90 degree wedge with a pair of AT-3202's and an head-spaced Parallel
Boundary Rig with NT2000's which might be able to portray some of the
sound performance qualities of these rigs and mics. Rob D.

>Mike
>
>>If so, I cover the
>>windscreens with with a .5 mil plastic shopping bag and twist tie and
>>leave them out. The NT2000's are the least affected by wind of _any_
>>mic I've ever used. Rob D.

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: