Re: opportunity for recordists to assist in Yosemite

Subject: Re: opportunity for recordists to assist in Yosemite
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Fri Feb 1, 2008 8:13 am ((PST))
NSS Chair Sharon Perry and I met with Joe Meyer in Yosemite. My notes:

They gathered a lot of data in '05 and '06. They didn't have a big
air tour problem, there are a couple of operators. They are at the
crossroads of two main airways, east-west and north-south. They are
concerned about a new airport proposed for Mammoth. The data showed
that airplane noise was discernable about half the time everywhere in
the park, averaged over 24 hours, but of course that was concentrated
in the daytime.
        Meyer suggested that the NSS might assist in data
interpretation and servicing survey stations, the same as he had told
me on the phone. Batteries need to be swapped every few days. He said
he'd get us the dates for the training sessions in February. He
expressed concerns about NSS volunteers having an advocacy attitude.
We assured him that we were able to be objective in accomplishing a
scientific program. We felt that he was checking us out. I asked if I
could go recording in the closed rockgall area on Northside drive,
but he said it wasn't possible to set that up on the spot.

I asked if he wanted to set a schedule for visiting recordists, or
have the NSS organize it for him. He said he'd think about that.

I showed him three systems, the Nagra M, my shoulder system, and the
Sound Devices system.

So I didn't get much more information than I had gotten on the phone.
If they're going to do training in February we'd better get the dates
soon.

Meyer had asked me to record ice falls and rock falls, to help with
ear training to distinguish between them. I was able to record ice
falls at Bridalveil Fall and Upper Yosemite Fall (knees still sore
from the climb), and rock falls at Middle Brother. I just walked into
the closed area and recorded, there was rock fall activity. Haven't
had time to transfer my MDs yet, maybe tomorrow.

-Dan Dugan