Re: Shure WL183 rigs

Subject: Re: Shure WL183 rigs
From: "Curt Olson" flipov411
Date: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:29 am ((PST))
Dave,

Here's a simple and inexpensive possibility that sounds really nice:

http://www.trackseventeen.com/images/mic_arrays/183_pvc_coupler.html

It's a take-off on Bernie's "tree-mic" idea, using a 4" PVC drain pipe
coupler, readily available for probably less than five dollars in the
plumbing department of almost any home improvement or hardware store.
The wood "nose piece" is optional, but seems to have a subtle
stabilizing effect on the stereo image.

It might seem be a bit bulky, but any "head-spaced" stereo rig will
have a certain minimum size to it. Some tinkering would be required to
mount rig like this to a stand, and also to apply wind protection.

Just another thought to consider,

Curt Olson