Re: Linking to the Files Page [was - bernie's article]

Subject: Re: Linking to the Files Page [was - bernie's article]
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm ((PST))
At 4:45 PM +0000 1/30/08, John Hartog wrote:

re:

>name of file you are uploading

Works for me! You can also right-click (control click on mac) on the
file you have uploaded in the group file directory and select "Save
Link" and paste the whole ugly string into Tiny URL. Still requires
being logged into Yahoo no matter what one does as best as I can tell.

What is bothering me more and more about the file resources we are
building is that there is no simple way, even as a moderator, to
download the valuable files and back them up for posterity and manage
links.

Sooner or later, this list will have to migrate ether because Yahoo's
"free lunch" becomes uneatable or we desire other directions through
other means. With server space so cheap, why are we worried about
have room to store the files? The intermediate tiny URL links we are
creating will be broken in the long haul.

Even using the NatureSound volume is simpler and easier to maintain
now. http://ad2004.hku.nl/index.php  [u s e r nature  p a s s sound].
For $50 year, we could consider creating and using our own domain for
list-related file storage and more. The files could be password
protected or not.  Or, maybe the folks at
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/naturerecordists/
have an interest in providing such a resource? Curiously probing. Rob
D.