can clip mic alter the bird song?

Subject: can clip mic alter the bird song?
From: "pavel linhart" linhart_pavel
Date: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 am ((PST))
Hi,

My name is Pave Linhart. I'm a student at University of South Bohemia, Czech
Republic. As I like music, sound and connected stuff as well as biology I ended
up studying bird song. I'm relatively new to the group, until  this moment I
just enjoyed your stories, advices, tips etc. from behind the curtain. Now, I
would like to ask you for help in following topic.

I record songbird songs and I use them to conduct playback experiments. Usually
I do this using Sennheiser ME 67 mic and Marantz PMD-660 solid state recorder.
My  collegue, however, has some recordings made with Sony MZ-RH1/B Hi-MD
recorder and Panasonic RP-VC 151E-S

(for specs see:
http://panasonic.co.nz/product-detail$product$251$tab$spec$.html#tabs)

supplied with plastic funnel (about 10cm diameter) instead of parabola
reflector. I wonder wether (and how) this arangement can transform (alter) the
signal or it's quality seriously, so when played back to males it could change
their behaviour. Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Pavel

Be a better friend, newshound, and